MetabolizePMD: 3 Tips for Mindful Eating
Mindful eating is important to maintaining a healthy diet. You want to be aware and thoughtful about the things you are eating and drinking. Greenville health coach Caiti Nascarella offers three tips on how to be mindful about what you eat. Watch the video below and read on for more.
1) Eat when hungry. The concept is simple, not easy.
Mindful eating involves eating to satisfy hunger and provide nourishment. You want to avoid eating because it's a particular time of day, location, situation, or feelings that prompt the urge to eat.
It can help to check in with yourself and grade your hunger before you go grabbing in the kitchen. You can do a simple assessment by checking in with how your stomach feels. Empty, rumbling, gurgling? If you how to rate your hunger on a scale of 1-10, 1 being running on empty, where would you be?
2) Listen to your body's cues: Differentiating between hunger, desire, and craving.
- Hunger: Usually happens several hours after eating. Stomach feels empty, often rumbling. You may feel lightheaded, dizzy, shaky, or irritable as your blood sugar declines.
- Desire: This may occur following a meal when you want a second serving because something appealed to you. Occurs when you aren't hungry, you just have the desire to eat or to continue eating.
- Craving: Think of this as desire on steroids. This sensation occurs when you aren't hungry. It is an intense yearning to eat, often involving the desire for something specific. This is often accompanied by thoughts such as "I could really go for ____" or "_____sounds good".
3) Sit down whenever you choose to eat.
It's extra helpful if you can minimize distractions for a short period of time to allow you to eat slowly and be conscious of what and how much you are ingesting. Mastering sitting down and eating mindfully allows you to be fully aware of the quality and quantity of your food. You'll feel more satisfied if you see if all displayed in front of you, versus mindlessly munching and being unaware of how much you've consumed.
MetabolizePMD is a new wellness program under development at PartnerMD. By focusing on weight management and the science behind it, MetabolizePMD will help participants pursue and achieve metabolic wellness through the latest in healthy eating. Check out more MetabolizePMD content here. More information coming soon!