Comparing Concierge Medicine in Northern Virginia
Finding the right doctor is hard. You want to feel comfortable and confident. If you’re also looking for care for your family – maybe young children or aging parents – you feel even more pressure to make the right choice.
When it comes to choosing the best concierge medicine practice in Northern Virginia, it can be even harder. You know you want more access and a better relationship with your doctor, but how do you pick the right one?
At PartnerMD, we’ve helped thousands of patients make this decision since our founding in 2003. Some choose us and receive trusted care from the doctors in our McLean office. Some decide to go elsewhere. And that’s ok.
We want to provide useful information to help you select the best concierge medicine practice in Northern Virginia for you and your family.
With so many options in the area, it’s tough to compare one practice against another and keep it all straight. In this blog, we’ll compare what we do against a few other practices in the area in hopes of getting you on the path to an informed decision.
Similarities of Concierge Medicine in Northern Virginia
To start, it’s important to understand what features are standard throughout concierge medicine. You will see these features across the board:
- Out-of-pocket membership fee
- Same-day or next-day appointments for sick care
- Little to no waiting at the office
- Longer appointments with your physician
- After-hours care and weekend access
Differences of Concierge Medicine in Northern Virginia
What differences should you be looking for in each practice? The personality of the doctors is the obvious one. You should have a doctor you like and trust. But beyond that, the core differences include:
- Cost of membership
- Doctors at each practice
- Annual physical options
- Wellness services
- Specific form of after-hours care
Then there are additional, smaller differences depending on the practice. In the rest of this article, we’ll dive into the different features offered at a handful of concierge medical practices in Northern Virginia.
Hopefully, by the end of it, you’ll be closer to selecting the best concierge medicine provider in Northern Virginia for you.
Concierge Medicine Practices in Northern Virginia
- Inova VIP 360 Concierge Medicine
- Northern Virginia Family Practice
- Family Healthcare of Fairfax
Concierge Medicine in Northern Virginia: Cost
Nationally, the cost of concierge medicine ranges anywhere from $1,200 to $10,000. On the lower end of the spectrum, you’ll find smaller practices. On the higher end of the spectrum, you’ll find what we call luxury medicine or VIP medicine.
In the Northern Virginia and Washington D.C. area, you can find many options on the lower end of the spectrum. See below for a comparison of the annual cost at each practice.
|PartnerMD||$2,000 per year|
|Inova VIP 360 Concierge Medicine||$2,100 per year|
|MDVIP||$1,650-$2,700 per year ( most common = $1,800 per year)|
|Northern Virginia Family Practice Associates||Not publicly available|
|NOVAMED||Not publicly available|
|Principal Medical Group||$2,000 per year|
|Family Healthcare of Fairfax||Not publicly available|
Some practices also offer discounts for additional adult family members, young adults, and children. One thing to keep an eye on as you investigate your option is payment plans. Can you pay monthly, quarterly, or annually? Is the cost different depending on your method of payment? What is the cancellation policy?
At PartnerMD, for example, you can cancel at any time with 30 days’ notice and if you’ve paid ahead, we’ll prorate your money back. Use our online cost calculator to get an idea of what your Northern Virginia concierge medicine membership cost might be.
Concierge Medicine in Northern Virginia: Doctors in Each Practice
- PartnerMD: Dr. Kaleen Kitay and Dr. Mandana Shafai are internal medicine doctors in PartnerMD’s McLean office conveniently located in an intimate office building on tree-lined Elm St.
- Inova VIP 360 Concierge Medicine: One of the largest healthcare providers in the state, INOVA has 16 concierge doctors operating out of five major hospital locations in Northern Virginia.
- MDVIP: MDVIP has more than 50 independent franchise concierge doctors (both family doctors and internists) scattered in offices throughout Northern Virginia and Washington D.C.
- Northern Virginia Family Practice Associates: Four doctors – three family doctors and one internal medicine doctor – and one physician assistant practice at their office in Alexandria.
- NOVAMED Associates: Dr. Bradford Pontz and Dr. Eric Vallone are internal medicine doctors. Their office is off Arlington Boulevard just north of Inova Fairfax Hospital.
- Family Healthcare of Fairfax: Dr. Eugene Shmorhun is a family medicine doctor and Cathy Tong is a certified family nurse practitioner. Their office is off Arlington Boulevard just north of Inova Fairfax Hospital.
**Accurate based on publicly available information as of 5/4/2021.
Concierge Medicine in Northern Virginia: Annual Physical Options
- PartnerMD: At PartnerMD, we charge our standard Classic (2-Hour) Physical to your health insurance. It is almost always covered at 100%.
In addition, we offer the ability to upgrade each year to our Enhanced (5-hour) Physical or our Signature (8-hour) Physical, which offer more advanced lab work through the Cleveland HeartLab, screenings, and consultations for the best in prevention and identification of health risks even before symptoms occur. More information on our advanced physicals is available here.
- Inova VIP 360 Concierge Medicine: Inova offers an “annual comprehensive exam and expert preventative care.” The first physical offered upon joining is a half-day examination and may include additional testing.
- MDVIP: MDVIP’s Wellness Program includes their version of an annual physical and is included in the cost of the membership.
- Northern Virginia Family Practice Associates: Individualized comprehensive annual assessment with complimentary lab panels included with membership.
- NOVAMED: Comprehensive annual health assessment is scheduled for 60 minutes.
- Family Healthcare of Fairfax: Their annual wellness exam is 60 minutes.
Concierge Medicine in Northern Virginia: Wellness Services
- PartnerMD: Unlimited one-on-one access to PartnerMD’s on-staff health coaches is included in the cost of your membership. They work hand-in-hand with you and your doctor throughout the year to help you achieve your goals.
PartnerMD also offers several programs specifically tailored for health issues, such as MetabolizePMD, which helps individuals achieve metabolic health through the latest in healthy eating, and HarmonizePMD, which focuses on your stress and sleep.
- Inova VIP 360 Concierge Medicine: No on-staff health coaches or wellness programs. Personal wellness and nutrition planning offered with membership.
- MDVIP: No on-staff health coaches. Their wellness program is centered on the advanced annual physical (discussed above) and is coordinated with the doctor.
- Northern Virginia Family Practice (NVFP): No on-staff health coaches or wellness programs. Members get discounted access to the AgeProof Your Body exercise program, which began as a collaboration between NVFP and MovementX physical therapy.
- NOVAMED: No on-staff health coaches or wellness programs. A personalized wellness plan is provided as part of the comprehensive annual health assessment.
- Family Healthcare of Fairfax, PC: No on-staff health coaches or wellness programs. “A strong focus on long-term health and wellness” is offered as part of membership.
After-Hours Care at Northern Virginia Concierge Medical Practices
- PartnerMD: 24/7/365 access to a PartnerMD physician. In McLean, this means it will either be Dr. Kitay or Dr. Shafai the vast majority of the time.
No matter what, you will always get a PartnerMD doctor in Virginia, which means they will have access to your medical charts and information, so they can provide the best care possible when you need it the most.
- Inova VIP 360 Concierge Medicine: 24/7 access to an Inova concierge physician via phone or pager.
- MDVIP: 24/7 access via pager, phone, or email. If on vacation, their doctors arrange for another doctor to provide coverage.
- Northern Virginia Family Practice Associates: 24/7 on-call service with one of the NVFP providers.
- NOVAMED: 24/7 availability via cell phone for urgent issues.
- Family Healthcare of Fairfax: 24/7 availability via cell phone for urgent issues.
Concierge Medicine in Northern Virginia: Take the Next Step
Choosing a primary care physician is a major healthcare decision. And as with any big decision, we encourage you to check out your options.
The most important thing is that you find the right fit for you and your family. Invest the time with each practice to identify the right fit. Reach out to different practices and see if you can set up a tour.
Need more information on concierge medicine in general? Check out our free e-book “Understanding Concierge Medicine.”