HarmonizePMD: Pranayama — Alternate Nostril Breathing
Pranayama is a yoga practice meaning "life force." It focuses on breathing exercises that help calm and restore the body.
In this video, Richmond health coach Lindsey Patton demonstrates a form of pranayama called alternate nostril breathing. Watch the video below and read on for a brief guide.
Guide to Alternate Nostril Breathing
The Basics: Alternate breathing between each nostril to help balance the left and right sides.
- Take your right hand and tuck down the center three fingers, so your pinky and thumb are out. Somewhat like the "hang loose" sign if that is familiar to you.
- Take your thumb and place on your right nostril. Take a deep inhale through your left nostril.
- Take your pinky and place on your left nostril. Exhale through the right side.
- Breath in through the right side (with the pink still on it), and exhale through the left.
- That is one full round of alternate nostril breathing. Do 5-9 rounds for maximum effect.
HarmonizePMD is a new wellness program under development at PartnerMD. By teaching specific strategies and explaining the science behind them, HarmonizePMD will help participants integrate their mind and body to improve stress management and sleep. Check out all our HarmonizePMD content here. More information coming soon!