Comparing Concierge Medicine Practices in Atlanta, GA
So you want to find the best concierge medicine practice in Atlanta for you. Where do you start? As the ninth-largest metropolitan statistical area in the United States, sorting through all the concierge doctors in the Atlanta area can be daunting. From larger practices to smaller practices and solo shops, there are a more than enough options to choose from.
PartnerMD is one such option. From our office in Sandy Springs, we provide top-notch concierge care to patients who live in Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs. Our mission is to make sure you are never alone on your path to lifelong health.
With that in mind, we understand finding the right doctor for yourself and your needs is complicated. If you’re also looking for primary care for family members – from young children to aging parents – it can be even more challenging. And starting a Google search for “concierge medicine Atlanta” returns over 1.5 million results. How can you even start to compare that many options?
We’re here to help. You may not end up picking PartnerMD, and that’s fine. But hopefully, by providing helpful information in one spot, we can help you and your family fight the right partner for your primary care.
So keep reading for a comparison of several concierge medicine practices in the Atlanta area.
Similarities of Concierge Medicine in Atlanta
Before we dive in, it’s important to understand the basics of concierge medicine. It is likely you will see these features across the board.
- Out-of-pocket membership fee
- Same-day or next-day appointments for sick care
- Little to no waiting at the office
- Longer appointments with your physician
- After-hours care and weekend access
Differences of Concierge Medicine in Atlanta
The features listed above are fairly standard at concierge medicine practices. However, there are some key differences that will likely help you make a final decision. These include:
- Cost of membership
- Whether they participate with health insurance plans
- Whether they are only direct pay or offer a cash pay option
- Length of the contract, including whether you can pay and cancel monthly or annually
- Size of the practice
- Access to physicians vs. nurse practitioners vs. physician assistants
- Annual physical options
- Wellness services
- Specifics of after-hours and weekend access
Concierge Medicine Practices in Atlanta
As mentioned before, as a large metro area, your Atlanta concierge medicine options are numerous. It can be overwhelming to even try to get started. But we’ve done the hard part of digging through the information so you can easily compare your options.
Here are the options we’ll be looking at:
- Buckhead Medicine
- Personalized Primary Care Atlanta
- Personal Care Physicians of Atlanta
- Juliet Asher, M.D., P.C.
- Marc Harrigan, MD | Concierge Medicine of Buckhead
- Sandy Springs Internal Medicine
Concierge Medicine in Atlanta: Cost
Nationally, the cost of concierge medicine ranges anywhere from $1,200 to $10,000. On the lower end of the spectrum you’ll find smaller practices. On the higher end of the spectrum, you’ll find what we call luxury medicine or VIP medicine. In Atlanta, you’ll find a mix of it all.
- PartnerMD: $1,800 per year for the first adult member with discounts available for additional adults, young adults, and children. You can pay monthly, quarterly, or annually and cancel at any time with 30 days’ notice. See our calculator to get a personalized estimate.
- Buckhead Medicine: There are two payment options – annually and quarterly. The cost is based on age, ranging from $1,900 year for ages 19-27 to $3,900 for ages 90 and above.
- Personalized Primary Care Atlanta: For individuals, the cost is $1,500 per year or $410 per quarter. For families (an adult couple with dependent children ages 16-26) the cost is $2,700 per year, per family, or $740 per quarter.
- Juliet Asher, M.D., P.C.: The cost of membership is not publicly available.
- Marc Harrigan, MD (Concierge Medicine of Buckhead): The cost of membership is not publicly available.
- MDVIP: In the Atlanta area, the vast majority of MDVIP doctors charge $1,800 per year, which can be paid quarterly, semi-annually, or annually. MDVIP includes the physical in their membership fee, so if your physical is completed, then you may not be eligible for a refund when cancelling before the year is up. Check with your local MDVIP provider.
- Sandy Springs Internal Medicine: The cost of membership is not publicly available.
Concierge Medicine in Atlanta: Size of Each Practice
By size of each practice, we just mean how many doctors there are. Many concierge practices in Atlanta are solo practitioners, the only doctor in the practice. Others have a partner or two and some have several doctors, physicians assistants, and/or nurse practitioners available.
Some are internal medicine doctors, which means they only see adults (usually ages 16 or 18 and up), while others are family medicine doctors – meaning they treat the whole family, from young children (usually age 6 and up) to the elderly.
- PartnerMD: Dr. Rob Norris is a solo family practice doctor in PartnerMD’s Sandy Springs office.
- Buckhead Medicine: Buckhead Medicine is run by a solo internal medicine doctor, Dr. Edward Espinosa. His office is located off W. Wieuca Road just east of Chastain Park.
- Personalized Primary Care Atlanta: Personalized Primary Care Atlanta has two internal medicine doctors – Dr. Juliet Mavromatis and Dr. Phyllis Tong. Their office is north of downtown Atlanta off I-85 at the N Druid Hills Rd exit.
- Juliet Asher, M.D., P.C.: Dr. Asher is a solo practitioner from her office off Howell Mill Rd Northwest of downtown Atlanta.
- Marc Harrigan, MD | Concierge Medicine of Buckhead: Dr. Harrigan is a solo practitioner from his office off in the Northwest Medical Center off Howell Mill Road.
- Buckhead Internal Medicine: Dr. Nan Monahan is the primary M.D. at Buckhead Internal Medicine, along with physician assistants Julie Tocci and Irina Supruniuk. Their practice is located on the campus of Piedmont Hospital.
- MDVIP: MDVIP lists 13 internal medicine doctors in the Atlanta area, although they have many more as you move expand farther outside the city. These doctors operate independently of each other.
- Sandy Springs Internal Medicine: They have seven male internal medicine doctors who practice out of their office in Sandy Springs.
Concierge Medicine in Atlanta: Annual Physical Options
One of the pillars of concierge medicine is more time with your doctor – both at every appointment and at some form of an expanded annual physical. By getting more out of your physical, you get more insight into the complete picture of your health.
- PartnerMD: With membership at PartnerMD, we charge our standard Classic (2-Hr) Physical to your health insurance. It is almost always covered at 100%.
In addition, we offer the ability to upgrade each year to our Enhanced (5-hr) Physical or our Signature (8-hr) Physical, which offer more advanced lab work through the Cleveland HeartLab, screenings, and consultations for the best in prevention and identification of health risks even before symptoms occur. More information on our advanced physicals is available here.
- Buckhead Medicine: Dr. Espinoza’s annual exams are scheduled for one to two hours. He screens for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, cancer, neurologic illnesses, thyroid disease, vitamin deficiencies, and other diseases. He also emphasizes a complete cardiovascular risk evaluation.
- Personalized Primary Care Atlanta: They offer an Annual Comprehensive Health Assessment with standard physical exam lab work that is typically covered by insurance. They also offer Extended Laboratory Preventive Screening Lab Work, which is built into your membership fee.
- Juliet Asher, M.D., P.C.: Dr. Asher’s Comprehensive Annual Health Assessment is approximately 60 minutes.
- Marc Harrigan, MD | Concierge Medicine of Buckhead: Dr. Harrigan’s Comprehensive Annual Health Assessment is approximately 60 minutes.
- MDVIP: MDVIP’s Wellness Program includes their version of an annual physical and is included in the cost of the membership.
- Sandy Springs Internal Medicine: Their physical includes wellness screenings such as the Framingham Cardiovascular Risk Assessment, the Epworth Sleep Index, the Beck Anxiety Index, as well as expanded laboratory testing.
Concierge Medicine in Atlanta: Wellness Services
Some concierge doctors in Atlanta focus entirely on providing concierge-level primary care. Their main goal is to make it as easy as possible to get the care you need, when you need it.
However, some concierge practices do take it to the next level and offer wellness services as a preventive tool to help you achieve and maintain optimal health (I.e. get sick less).
- PartnerMD: Unlimited one-on-one access to PartnerMD’s six on-staff health coaches is included in the cost of your membership. They work hand-in-hand with you and your doctor throughout the year to help you achieve your goals.
PartnerMD also offers several programs specifically tailored for health issues, such as MetabolizePMD, which helps individuals achieve metabolic wellness and lose weight through the latest in health eating, and HarmonizePMD, which focuses on your stress and sleep.
- Buckhead Medicine: No additional wellness services offered.
- Personalized Primary Care Atlanta: No additional wellness services offered.
- Juliet Asher, M.D., P.C.: No additional wellness services offered.
- Marc Harrigan, MD | Concierge Medicine of Buckhead: No additional wellness services offered.
- MDVIP: MDVIP does not have health coaches on staff or any specifically tailored wellness programs. Their Wellness Program is centered on the advanced annual physical (discussed above) and is coordinated with the doctor.
- Sandy Springs Internal Medicine: No additional wellness services offered.
Concierge Medicine in Atlanta: After-Hours Care
Some form of after-hours is standard at almost every concierge medicine practice. Knowing you will get the care you need, when you need it is one of the main pros of concierge medicine.
However, how practices offer after-hours care can differ. Some practices guarantee 24/7 access to your specific doctor. Others guarantee access to a doctor within the same practice. Some use a third-party service or a nurse-line to triage after-hours calls.
- PartnerMD: We guarantee 24/7/365 access to a PartnerMD physician. As the only doctor in Sandy Springs, the vast majority of the time this will be Dr. Norris. However, other PartnerMD doctors split time handling after-hours, weekend, and holiday coverage when necessary.
No matter what, you will always get a PartnerMD doctor, which means they will have access to your medical charts and information so they can provide the best care possible when you need it the most.
- Buckhead Medicine: Buckhead Medicine patients receive Dr. Espinosa’s cell phone for after hours and urgent medical needs. When unavailable, he has another physician cover for him.
- Personalized Primary Care Atlanta: They offer 24/7 cell phone access. No information is provided publicly on coverage when unavailable.
- Juliet Asher, M.D., P.C.: Dr. Asher is available by phone 24/7 and responds to emails within 24 hours. When she is unavailable or out of town, she enlists another doctor to cover for her.
- Marc Harrigan, MD | Concierge Medicine of Buckhead: Dr. Harrigan is available 24/7 by phone. When unavailable, Dr. Harrigan enlists another doctor to cover for him.
- MDVIP: Doctors at MDVIP provide 24/7 access for their patients via pager, phone, or email after hours, on weekends, or on a holiday. If on vacation, their doctors arrange for another doctor to provide coverage.
- Sandy Springs Internal Medicine: They provide 24/7 access to your physician. When they are otherwise unavailable, another doctor will cover for them.
These are the top similarities and differences among concierge doctors in the Atlanta area. If you’re looking to choose the right concierge doctor, you’ll want to figure out what’s important to you.
Our advice? Find a few, schedule some tours to meet the doctors, and see if you can find a fit for what you’re looking for.
Concierge Medicine in Atlanta: Take the Next Step
As with any major health care decision, we encourage you to check out your options. Invest the time with each practice to make sure you find the right fit. Learn more about membership at PartnerMD, and if you’re ready to check out PartnerMD Sandy Springs, schedule a visit with our team.
Need to investigate concierge medicine a little further? Download our free e-book “Understanding Concierge Medicine” and learn how a better relationship with your doctor, one who has the time to truly know you and your goals, can redefine your primary care experience.