Comparing Concierge Medicine Practices in Greenville, SC
We know switching to concierge medicine can cause uncertainty. You want a better relationship with your doctor, but how do you know you are picking the right place? If you’re also looking for care for your family, you feel even more pressure to get it right.
At PartnerMD, we have helped thousands of patients make the switch to concierge medicine since 2003, including those in the Greenville, South Carolina area.
We might not end up being the concierge medicine practice in Greenville for you. That’s ok. We want to give you quality information so you can make the right choice for you and your family.
With that in mind, there are currently two choices for concierge medicine in Greenville – PartnerMD and MDVIP. There is also a small concierge practice in Piedmont. In the rest of this article, we’ll detail the major similarities and differences between these options, so you can select the best concierge medicine option in Greenville for you.
Similarities of Concierge Medicine in Greenville
First, it’s important to understand the basics of concierge medicine. It is likely you will see these features across the board.
- Out-of-pocket membership fee
- Same-day or next-day appointments for sick care
- Little to no waiting at the office
- Longer appointments, often at least 30 minutes
- After-hours and weekend access
Differences of Concierge Medicine in Greenville
While the features listed above are standard, there are some key differences that will likely help you make a final decision. These include:
- Cost of membership
- Contract length including whether you can pay and cancel monthly or annually
- Size of the practice
- Access to physicians and/or nurse practitioners and physician assistants
- Annual physical options
- Wellness services
- Specifics of after-hours and weekend access
Options for Concierge Medicine in Greenville
If you are looking for a concierge doctor in the Greenville, SC area, there are currently two options – PartnerMD and MDVIP. In addition, there are a few concierge practices in towns and cities near Greenville like Piedmont and a few direct primary care options. Here are the main concierge medicine options:
- PartnerMD – A regional concierge medicine practice with seven offices in Greenville, SC; Atlanta, GA; Richmond, VA; Washington, D.C.; and Baltimore, MD.
- MDVIP – A national concierge medicine company with independently-owned franchises throughout the country, including three in Greenville.
- Dr. Scott’s Personalized Healthcare – Dr. Scott is a solo practitioner with an office in Piedmont, SC, about 20 minutes from Greenville.
Now, let’s examine the differences in each.
Greenville Concierge Medicine: Cost
The cost of concierge medicine throughout the country varies from $1,200 per year to as high as $10,000 per year. In Greenville, SC, the cost for adults is typically on the lower end of that range as far as we can tell:
- PartnerMD – $2,000 per year for the first adult member with discounts available for additional adults, young adults, and children. You can pay monthly, quarterly, or annually and cancel at any time with 30 days’ notice.
- MDVIP – $1,980 per year for adults. You can pay quarterly, semi-annually, or annually.
- Dr. Scott’s Personalized Healthcare – Information not publicly available.
Greenville Concierge Medicine: Size of Each Practice
The size of each practice could be a key differentiator for you. And by size, we mean the number of doctors available. Maybe you want the flexibility of picking from multiple options. Maybe your spouse is committed to seeing only a doctor of their same gender. Or maybe you appreciate the personal touch of a truly solo practitioner.
- PartnerMD – We have three doctors – Dr. Jim Burford, Dr. Jack Durham, and Dr. Jana Morse – in our office off Pelham road in Greenville. Our two male doctors are family physicians who can see ages five and up. Dr. Morse is an internal medicine physician, so she sees adults only.
Since they all work in the same practice for the same company, they have access to all patient records and can cover being on-call for one another if a physician is out on vacation or sick themselves.
- MDVIP – They have three doctors – Dr. Ron Phillips, Dr. Leslie Long, and Dr. Nancy Netter –operating three different offices in the Greenville area, one on South Venture Drive just off I-385 and two in offices off Buena Vista Way near the Pelham Road Walmart. They are all internal medicine physicians.
Because MDVIP offices are independently operated, vacation and sick coverage may be handled by a non-MDVIP doctor.
- Dr. Scott’s Personalized Healthcare – Dr. Scott is the solo practitioner at his office in Piedmont.
Greenville Concierge Medicine: Annual Physical Options
One of the big differences between traditional primary care and concierge medicine is the advanced annual physical. But each concierge medicine practice in Greenville offers a slightly different physical program.
- PartnerMD – With membership at PartnerMD, we charge our standard Classic (2-Hr) Physical to your health insurance. It is almost always covered at 100%.
In addition, we offer the ability to upgrade each year to our Enhanced (5-hr) Physical or our Signature (8-hr) Physical, which offer more advanced lab work through the Cleveland HeartLab, screenings, and consultations for the best in prevention and identification of health risks even before symptoms occur. More information on our advanced physicals is available here.
- MDVIP – Their Wellness Program includes their version of an annual physical and is included in the cost of the membership. This program includes advanced medical tests and health screenings typically not covered by commercial insurance or Medicare.
Since MDVIP’s annual physical is included in their membership fee, they typically do not refund the full membership fee if you already had your physical completed but want to cancel your contract.
- Dr. Scott’s Personalized Healthcare – Dr. Scott offers an “expanded analysis of annual exam including an in-depth health risk assessment.”
Greenville Concierge Medicine: Wellness Services
Some concierge medicine practices in Greenville focus solely on providing concierge-level primary care. Others take it to the next level by pairing primary care with in-house wellness services. However, there are some variations.
- PartnerMD – Unlimited one-on-one access to PartnerMD’s six certified health coaches, including one specifically in Greenville (Aaron Benator), is included in the cost of your membership. They work hand-in-hand with you and your doctor throughout the year to help you achieve your goals.
PartnerMD also offers several programs specifically tailored for health issues, such as MetabolizePMD, which helps individuals achieve metabolic wellness and lose weight through the latest in health eating, and HarmonizePMD, which focuses on your stress and sleep.
- MDVIP – MDVIP does not have health coaches on staff or any specifically tailored wellness programs. Their Wellness Program is centered around the advanced annual physical (discussed above) and is coordinated with the doctor.
- Dr. Scott’s Personalized Healthcare – Membership includes “a physician guided wellness plan.”
Greenville Concierge Medicine: After-Hours Care
Some form of after-hours, on-call care is standard at almost every concierge medicine practice. After all, the peace of mind that comes from knowing you’ll get the care you need, when you need it is one of the main pros of concierge medicine.
However, how practices offer after-hours care can differ. Some practices guarantee 24/7 access to your specific doctor. Others guarantee access to a doctor within the same practice. Some use a third-party service or a nurse-line to triage after-hours calls.
- PartnerMD – We guarantee 24/7/365 access to a PartnerMD physician in your area. In Greenville, the doctors from our Greenville office – Dr. Burford, Dr. Durham, and Dr. Morse – split time handling after-hours, weekend, and holiday coverage.
This means you know you will always be speaking to a doctor in PartnerMD’s Greenville office, and never a nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
- MDVIP – Doctors at MDVIP provide 24/7 access for their patients via pager, phone, or email after hours, on weekends, or on a holiday. Because MDVIP offices are independently operated, vacation and sick coverage may be handled by a non-MDVIP doctor.
- Dr. Scott’s Personalized Healthcare – Dr. Scott’s patients are provided with his cell phone number, which can be used for after-hour calls.
Take the Next Step
As with any major health care decision, we encourage you to check out your options. Invest the time with each practice to make sure you find the right fit. If you’re ready to check out PartnerMD Greenville, schedule a visit with our team here.
Want to learn more about concierge medicine? Download our free e-book “Understanding Concierge Medicine” and discover how a better relationship with your doctor, one who has the time to truly know you and your goals, can redefine your primary care experience.